Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Shack

I put this comment on my status on Facebook one day, "The Shack is amazing. It is better than any theology book I have ever read." Little did I realize the comments that would come from the more conservative friends on my friends list. The very idea that I would make such a scandalous comment was absolutely unacceptable, and they were especially disturbed that I would put "The Shack" in the same category as a theology book and of course they assumed I was comparing it to the Bible which I was not doing by the way. It drives me crazy when people are so closed minded to the possibility that a book could be influenced by the workings of the Holy Spirit in the soul of the author. Am I saying that is absolute truth? No. Am I saying you should change your entire view of God from this book? No. I am saying give it a chance to capture the imagination and bring the BIG CONCEPTS of God and His nature down to a more manageable and realistic understanding of Him. We are always trying to figure God out with our head when the reality is we must live this life and follow God with our heart. The central theme of this book is love. God's love for us is eternal even in the most horrific circumstances. WOW! I know another book with the same theme. Keep an open mind people.
Peace, Nobe

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I have had so many people tell me that the concepts in the Shack are absolute blasphemy while others say that 'although it is a good read, I would never take that to be an accurate depiction of God. He would never do those things.'

    To which I say, Why is it so impossible to believe in the impossible? By only allowing the "possible" explanations into your worldview, you are sadly boxing God into your own comfortable version, formfitted to meet your needs.

    I have been shaken by the possibility of the impossible and God, does it feel absolutely wonderful! Vulnerability is scary yes, and it is never easy, but we cannot open up to the world from God's standpoint if we remain "safe"

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the Shack, I could totally see why the controversy came over that book, but for me, it totally spoke to my heart. The Holy Spirit grabbed a hold of the very deepest part of my soul and poured love all over it!

    It took me a couple chapters to get over the way Papa was depicted, but sooooooooooo glad I didn't let that stop me, because HUGE healing came from God through reading that book!

    I love having other blogging buddies who I know in real life. I look forward to reading more!

    Blessings, Heaven

    ReplyDelete